Legal Question in Family Law in Washington

Is there a way that a single parent could legally insure that their significant other had legal rights with regards to their children (but not full adoption)? Is it just a matter of filing paperwork and paying filing fees or is there more to it?

Asked on 12/07/13, 5:06 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Jonathan Baner Baner & Baner

Marriage is the first step often. There is also a doctrine known as de facto parentage that I believe was expanded in the last few weeks by the WA supreme court, but I think that case had to do with foster parents. Everything about securing rights through the court is in some ways just a matter of paperwork.

You can call my office during the week or send me a private e-mail and I can try to give you a referral depending on your location.

Read more
Answered on 12/08/13, 8:30 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Washington