Legal Question in Family Law in Washington

Taking over my divorce/custody case: We are entering the discovery phase, after filing a temporary parenting plan. My stbEx and I are hoping to put aside interrogatories and negotiate the rest of our issues and I do not want to spend any more on an attorney. Do I need to file anything with the court to indicate my change in representation status, or do I just need to notify opposing counsel?


Asked on 7/01/13, 10:20 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Amir John Showrai The Pacific Law Firm, PLLC

Whomever your current attorney is, should file a Notice of Intent to Withdraw, which takes effect 10 days after service and filing on the other side. That document effectively substitutes you as your own attorney. If your attorney (after being notified by you that you no longer wish to have legal representation) fails to file this, they will continue to be your attorney in the eyes of the court and the court clerk, receiving all relevant correspondence on your behalf.

Read more
Answered on 7/01/13, 11:52 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Washington