Legal Question in Family Law in Washington

My wife became pregnant by another man during our marriage and had a son, I found out about this when my son was about 9 years old. Not wanting to complicate my sons life I did not take any action, now he is 18 and my question is can I collect back child support for the past 18 years?

Asked on 7/14/13, 9:26 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Gary Preble Preble Law Firm, P.S.

Most likely not. Nine years ago you made a voluntary choice.

Under WA law you can only go back five years, though there is also a legal doctrine called laches, or "sleeping on your rights".

However, your wife may be able to collect back support.

This would require some legal research. You should see an attorney.

Read more
Answered on 7/15/13, 8:32 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Washington