Legal Question in Civil Litigation in Washington

If you are under 18 can your parents kick you out.

Asked on 2/05/13, 8:28 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Amir John Showrai The Pacific Law Firm, PLLC

Yes, so long as they provide some place for you to stay. For example, a boarding school. However, they cannot kick you to the curb with no money and no place to go. If they do, that is neglect. If that is the case, and you are kicked out, you should contact CPS at 1-866-363-4276 and tell someone what is happening. They will investigate the situation, and if they believe you, you will be placed in foster care until you are 18.

Foster care has the advantage of not making you have to worry about a roof over your head and food to eat, but there are nightmare stories of some foster parents not being the best of caretakers. I can only speak from anecdotal knowledge, so I don't know how many bad homes there are. That said, if I were you, I'd sooner risk foster care than living on the street.

Alternatively, if this is a matter of you and your parents getting into a fight, and you have a place to stay, like a friend's home, and so long as your parents are aware of where you are, then I would sooner recommend that since you know where you're headed and who'll you'll be with.

If you have no friends or family to stay with, then please, call CPS at the number I gave you and whatever you do, do not sleep on the streets or in a car.

Read more
Answered on 2/06/13, 3:35 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More General Civil Litigation questions and answers in Washington