Legal Question in Civil Litigation in Washington

Small Claims Decision

I lost a small claims judgment yesterday regarding sub-letting a timeshare condominium in Hawaii. Plaintiff lives in CA. I live in WA. Plaintiff claimed I misrepresented, which I did not. Plaintiff said it was no a timeshare as a picture he took in front of building said apartments. I have no knowledge of wny it says that, but it is a timeshare, I have owned entitlement to it for 6 years. My complaint is that it says on the judgement that I misrepresented it as a timeshare when it is an apartment. I don't argue with the paying him the money, but more in the error of why? What can I do?

Asked on 10/06/98, 3:09 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Lawrence Glosser Law Office of Lawrence S. Glosser

Re: Small Claims Decision

You didn't mention where the small claims court was, if it was in Washington or California. Also, you didn't give enough facts to really determine why the court might have ruled as it did. Did you appear, or was it a default judgment? Usually when a small claims judge rules he or she attempts to explain the law. If you didn't appear, then the plaintiff wins whatever they asked for by default.

Small Claims decisions can be appealed, and that is about your only recourse if it was in Washington State. However, your message was posted on Oct. 10, 1998, and the time for appeal has probably run out by now.

Lawrence Glosser

Law Office of Lawrence S. Glosser

1300 Seattle Tower, 1218 Third Avenue

Read more
Answered on 12/28/98, 12:10 am

Related Questions & Answers

More General Civil Litigation questions and answers in Washington