Legal Question in Immigration Law in Washington

applying for citizenship with taxproblems

Hello everyone.

I'm going to appy for citizenship. I do have some backtaxes I'm filing now. Should I wait for the outcome of it with the IRS or apply for the citizenship right after I file my back taxes?

I'm asking this, because I'd like to know how will it affect the ''good moral caracter'' part in the naturalization process. Is there a possibility they will deny my application?

I understand I may have to hire an attorney to get help with the issue.

So if you are an attorney in the Seattle area and this is your field please let me know

Thanks in advance

Asked on 5/11/08, 7:15 pm

2 Answers from Attorneys

James J. White, attorney Law Offices of Smith & White, PLLC

Re: applying for citizenship with taxproblems

I disagree with Mr. Showrai. Your back taxes will not affect your "good moral character" unless you intentionally engaged in behavior amounting to criminal conduct which I think unlikely. So, you can apply right after you file your back taxes. If you've done your filings correctly you'll not hear from the IRS anyway so there is no point in waiting indefinitely to naturalize.

Contact me directly and I'll help you with your naturalization immediately and for a nominal charge.

At your service,

Read more
Answered on 5/12/08, 5:14 pm
Amir John Showrai The Pacific Law Firm, PLLC

Re: applying for citizenship with taxproblems

A lot will depend on the details of your situation, but your instinct is correct to settle the tax issues before filing the naturalization application. You want to minimize any complications or problems that you may have, because, yes, USCIS is likely to deny your application if there are outstanding taxes and penalties due.

My office is in Seattle, so feel free to click on my name below to call or just e-mail my office, and we can set up a free telephone consultation, and take things from there.

Read more
Answered on 5/11/08, 9:02 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Immigration Law questions and answers in Washington