Legal Question in Immigration Law in Washington

My fiancée has an F1 family-sponsored immigrant visa approved and she is waiting for a visa to be available. We are planning to get married and move together to US. I know that is better to wait until she's getting her visa, right? ...because of speed processing. When is the best time to get married and how long it takes for me to move next to her in US and get a Green Card?

Asked on 2/26/13, 7:46 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Marlene Hemmings Marlene Hemmings, Attorney at Law

An F-1 visa is for students. Are you a U.S. Citizen? Do you mean a K-1 visa? If so, once the K-1 visa is approved, she can enter the U.S., where you must be married within 90 days. Then, you must file for her "greencard".

If you get married now, she will no longer be eligible for the K-1 visa.

If you are not a U.S. citizen, then I need you to please clarify your situation.

Read more
Answered on 2/26/13, 11:22 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Immigration Law questions and answers in Washington