Legal Question in Immigration Law in Washington

My husband was brought to the United States illegally at the age of 9 in which he had no control over. He went to school and graduated high school in 2010. He applied for DACA (Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals) in 2013 and received his employment card which made it legal for him to work in the United States. He and I got married in August 2011. I recently received my Bachelor of Arts in Psychology and will be continuing to in the Master of Science program in Applied Psychology in the Fall 2014. Meaning that we cannot afford to see a lawyer yet. My husband and I would like to know what would be the first step for him to become a United States resident.

Asked on 7/30/14, 5:11 pm

2 Answers from Attorneys

Rahul Manchanda, Esq. Manchanda Law Office PLLC

Please call me at (212) 968-8600. Kind regards, RDM

Read more
Answered on 7/30/14, 6:06 pm
Marlene Hemmings Marlene Hemmings, Attorney at Law

If you are a U.S. citizen, you will need to file the I-130 & provisional waiver for him. If approved, he will be required to go back to his home country (of citizenship) & apply for the immigrant visa at the U.S. Consulate.

In such as case, I would highly recommend hiring an attorney to represent you. This type of case is just too complicated to try to do it yourself.

If you are not a U.S. citizen, then he would not be eligible for a greencard at this time.

Read more
Answered on 7/31/14, 9:46 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Immigration Law questions and answers in Washington