Legal Question in Immigration Law in Washington

i was married to an american citizen and i used to have 10 years green card, when i decided to divorce i returned back to my country and cancelled the green card by retuning it back to the consulate, after 6 years now , i ve met a man ( american citizen) we love each other and we have decided to get married ... will immigration refuse to give me my spouse visa because i have cancelled the first one ?

Asked on 4/28/14, 12:09 pm

3 Answers from Attorneys

Rebecca White Law Office of Rebecca White

From what you have described there should not be an issue for you. If there were prior issues with suspected marriage fraud or other immigration issues you will have problems. A simple divorce from a prior marriage entered into in good faith will not be an issue for you however.

Read more
Answered on 4/28/14, 12:24 pm
Amir John Showrai The Pacific Law Firm, PLLC

I agree with Ms. White. If you had a 10 year card and your marriage ended for garden variety reasons that have nothing to do with immigration issues, then you can get another one based on another marriage to a US citizen. I'd say the fact that you voluntarily relinquished your legal permanent residency so many years ago further reduces any apprehension about your situation. You just have to start all over again, that's all.

Read more
Answered on 4/28/14, 12:41 pm
Rahul Manchanda, Esq. Manchanda Law Office PLLC

This requires a more in-depth analysis than a simple web-posting. Please call us at (212) 968-8600 or toll-free at (800) 750-1828 to discuss in greater detail. Kind regards, RDM

Read more
Answered on 4/28/14, 1:37 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Immigration Law questions and answers in Washington