Legal Question in Immigration Law in Washington

I have been given an oyster......

Hello: I am a Canadian citizen living in CDA. I married a retired Navy (if relevant) US citizen in CDA in 2006 and have been crossing the border each weekend to see him ever since. Due to high property prices in my area vs his, our intention was to apply for I-130 while i remain in Canada and once approved I would move to US but continue to work in CDA (cross the border daily). Knowing I could not cross during the ''process'' we kept putting the app off due to ''things coming up''. Through events, last week I was given an incredible opportunity through my employer (casino gaming industry). In a nutshell, I can leave my job for a period of time to gain specific experience they can't provide, upgrade my education or remain with them and take a position elsewhere (we have sub co's in Canada and Washington State). I'm very excited about this but want to make a well rounded and legal decision. (eg. applying for work visa in WA, would it be misrepresentation?) Strictly related to immigration (me to US or him to CDA) what is the fastest, easiest and legal way(will consider grey and fine line) for us to say, ''Good Morning'' more than 8 days straight. Thank you

Asked on 7/23/08, 7:34 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Tahmina Watson Watson Immigration Law, LLC

Re: I have been given an oyster......

Hello there,

Thanks for your question. The easiest and fastest way, in my opinion, would be for you to 'adjust your status' in the US while in the US. In other words, apply for the I-130 and Green Card. It would take about 90 days to get a work authorization and approximately 6-9 months to receive a Green Card. You can also get a travel authorization document (to be received within roughly 90 days from filing) so that you can travel back and forth to Canada. However, until you do receive the travel document, you should not leave the US as your application will be considered abandoned. I would be happy to help you through the process as there are other important details for you to be aware of. If you would like to discuss the matter further, please do not hesitate to contact me. Best wishes, Tahmina

Read more
Answered on 7/23/08, 7:44 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Immigration Law questions and answers in Washington