Legal Question in Immigration Law in Washington

travel permission after wedding

am getting married in April and hope to travel to my home country (Canada) for a wedding in June. How long does it take to get permission to travel after wedding?

Asked on 3/10/08, 3:09 pm

2 Answers from Attorneys

Glen Prior Pacific Law, Inc., P.S.

Re: travel permission after wedding

If you are a Canadian citizen, you can travel to the United States at anytime, whether you are married or not. The main point is to have non-immigrant intent when you enter the United States, that is , that it is your intent to return to Canada after you visit the U.S.. However, if after a few months you change your mind and decide to live in the United States, then you could adjust your status to that of U.S. resident (Forms I-130, I-485 etc.) providing your spouse is a U.S. citizen , which makes the immigrant visa (green card) immediately available providing you are not inadmisssible because of crimes, health, etc.. see (a free service) end696 for exceptions for Canadians to enter U.S. without a visa. Glen

Read more
Answered on 4/06/08, 3:13 am
James J. White, attorney Law Offices of Smith & White, PLLC

Re: travel permission after wedding

It can be difficult to predict processing times on the part of the US government. However, if you use the services of my firm we will process your application as quickly as possible. Contact me directly if you have further questions.

At your service,

Read more
Answered on 3/10/08, 3:15 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Immigration Law questions and answers in Washington