Legal Question in Landlord & Tenant Law in Washington

My daughter signed a lease when she was 17, she then moved into the house and was kicked out by her roommate on September 13. Her roommate has changed the locks on the house. Is it possible for her to be refunded her deposit and/or rent that she paid while 17?

Asked on 9/24/09, 4:12 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Amir John Showrai The Pacific Law Firm, PLLC

If no one else signed the lease on your then 17 year old's behalf, then I would say, yes, you can get the deposit back, since a 17 year old is a minor, and in Washington, minor's are not legally competent to enter contracts. Thus, any contract with a minor is void and you can sue on your daughter's behalf to get the money back.

The one exception may occur if your daughter has been emancipated.

Read more
Answered on 9/29/09, 4:40 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Landlord & Tenants questions and answers in Washington