Legal Question in Landlord & Tenant Law in Washington

I have lived in home for 27yrs. In 2006 instead of foreclosure I sold my house and signed a lease with option to purchase. My office of workers' compensation was terminated at the first of the year so now only receiving social security disability. I am being evicted for non payment. I need more time than given because of my health when going to court will judge consider my disability and give me more time or only 72 hrs to vacate? Some people tell me I'm protected because on oxygen just not able to find that in writing as proof. Thank YOu

Asked on 11/11/13, 8:22 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Jonathan Baner Baner & Baner

Sorry, but probably not. Disabilities, oxygen, inability to pay, etc. are not defenses to an unlawful detainer. It is a strict procedural process, so you might want to have one of the pro bono attorneys from NW Justice Project or similar organization look at the paperwork. If an attorney is doing the foreclosure you are facing a challenge, but a lot of landlords regularly make mistakes.

Have you tried contacting the LL (or the attorney for LL) to try to work out a payment? In general, my advice is usually to keep tenants even if some rent is late or even forgiven. However, you also need to remember that the LL typically has a "mortgage" payment to make and doesn't want to be making it so that you can stay in the house rent free.

Read more
Answered on 11/11/13, 9:24 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Landlord & Tenants questions and answers in Washington