Legal Question in Landlord & Tenant Law in Washington

Can I terminate my rental agreement on grounds that the crime rate is so high within the apartment complex? My car has been stolen once and broken into at least 3 times. My dads truck was also broken into and we were only gone for 30 mins.

Asked on 11/13/09, 9:59 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Amir John Showrai The Pacific Law Firm, PLLC

Almost for sure no. I say almost because unless you can prove that somehow the landlord controls the crime in your area, or that you asked the landlord if the crime in the area was high and he knew it was and lied to you, then maybe you've got a shot at it.

The basis for this answer is simply that in general, a landlord cannot control local crime. Your best bet is to try and find a replacement tenant that your landlord will agree to rent to in your place and then you ought to be able to get out of your lease with little or no financial pain.

Read more
Answered on 11/18/09, 11:48 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Landlord & Tenants questions and answers in Washington