Legal Question in Personal Injury in Washington

My son who is 20 hit a golf ball out of our yard at our business and hit a women walking on the county road. She is okay. I offered to pay her medical bills but that is not enough. I think she wants to sue us.

Asked on 5/19/12, 9:17 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Sam Hochberg Sam Hochberg & Associates

That's interesting, but you didn't ask a question. I assume you want an opinion on what to do about this incident -- and the answer is, call the insurance company for your business. If they don't feel there is coverage, there may be, odd though it may seem, from your homeowner's policy, or your son's homeowner's or tenant's policy if he doesn't live with you. Whichever insurance company handles it will, if there's coverage (and I suspect there will be), THEY will hire a lawyer to defend you or your son if you're sued. And if it turns out you or your son aren't liable, they'll tell you.

For now, she hasn't said what she wants, but you may want to contact the appropriate insurer anyway, so they can initiate an investigation. Timely reporting of incidents to your insurer is generally required by insurers, and if you don't, it could compromise their ability to defend you, and they could even deny coverage on that basis. So, if it were me, I'd report it, and let them deal with it. That's what you pay the premiums for.

Good luck to you.

Sam Hochberg

Read more
Answered on 5/19/12, 9:04 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Personal Injury Law and Tort Law questions and answers in Washington