Legal Question in Real Estate Law in Washington

A house in WA state is currently owned by my ailing Alzheimer's Mother & paid for cash 100% by her about 4 years ago. She still has the house in her name. No-one is living in this house. She is currently in an assisted living center in TX close to myself & my wife. I am the durable POA & when the time comes I am also the executor of the will. There are 3 others to consider when that time comes for splitting up her estate. I have a family member who wants to move to WA & wants to move into my Mothers house with a "rent to own" situation. Is this even a possibility with 3 other people named in my Mothers will? What happens when "that time" strikes my Mother & this family member is in the house with a "rent to own" situation & family members will be expecting that house to be in the total amount of estate. This family member cannot get a loan due to a bankruptcy with a business about 4 years ago. They are stable & is a situation wanting to help them out but in a legal way that's doable. Any advise?

Asked on 2/09/24, 1:20 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Richard Bryan Richard Bryan Attorney PC

Very difficult situation, for sure. If you say 'no', it's going to lead to hard feelings. If you say 'yes' it's going to be a nightmare. Of course you don't need a lawyer to tell you what you already know. There's no possible way this scenario turns out well for your family. Definitely you need to see a local lawyer face to face and figure out how to get mom's affairs in order as soon as possible.

Good luck.

Read more
Answered on 2/11/24, 12:18 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Real Estate and Real Property questions and answers in Washington