Legal Question in Real Estate Law in Washington

Who is responsible for soil movement around house?

We bought a house in May 2004. All of the contracts have the name of the builder on them. Our soil started moving in 2005 exposing a corner of our home. Builder says it is responsibility of developer who agreed with them to do work on this property to ensure safety of house since it is on an active slide area. Developer will not return calls. Wouldn't the builder be ultimately responsible to repair soil and insure safety of house? The deal was made between builder and developer we had nothing to do with the deal. The fact that the house was built on an active slide area was never disclosed to us. We also found out that the last inspection by the county was never passed, so builder was never issued a Certificate of Occupancy, also septic tank did not pass final inspection. This, also, was never disclosed to us. From county to builder there is a trail of eneptness. Short of spending thousands of dollars taking everyone to court - what can we do to make these people take resonsibility?

Asked on 2/16/06, 3:23 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

James Vasquez In Pacta, PLLC

Re: Who is responsible for soil movement around house?

Unfortunately, you may have to take everyone to court in order to get some results. A demand letter can be written threatening legal action, but its likely that it will not net the results that you're seeking.

I would be glad to assist you if you wish to pursue any legal recourse.

Read more
Answered on 2/16/06, 4:09 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Real Estate and Real Property questions and answers in Washington