Legal Question in Real Estate Law in Washington

Roomate eviction

I own my house. It is my name alone. All the utilities are in my name. I have asked my boyfriend to move out and he simply refuses. He pays some rent when he feels like it which is about 5 months out of the year. Apart from hiring someone to throw him bodily out, what steps do I need to take to get him out of the house permanently?


Asked on 4/26/98, 11:42 pm

2 Answers from Attorneys

Lawrence Glosser Law Office of Lawrence S. Glosser

Room mate eviction

If he is paying rent, he can argue he is a tenant under verbal rental agreement. If so, the proper way to evict him is to serve him a three-day notice to pay rent or vacate (for past due rent>. If he doesn't vacate, may have to file an unlawful detainer suit. That can take several weeks until he is actually evicted by the Sheriff. If you have any questions regarding unlawful detainer, feel free to call my office.Larry Glosser

Read more
Answered on 5/18/98, 10:08 pm
Gary Preble Preble Law Firm, P.S.

Throw the bum out

1. Don't take any more money from him.

2. Give him a written notice to be out by the next day. Have your father, brother or other male relative there if possible. Change the locks and don't give him a key.

3. Call the police the next day to have him put out for trespassing.

4. Have some male friends over to move his stuff onto the sidewalk.

5. Rethink the personally and socially destructive idea that living together before marriage is a good thing.

6. I don't think this

Read more
Answered on 5/19/98, 11:05 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Real Estate and Real Property questions and answers in Washington