Legal Question in Traffic Law in Washington

My daughter got a speeding ticking for 12mph over, she also didn't have her insurance card with her.. The ticket says to choose mitigation hearing, get a court date and then she can apply for traffic school, but how can we get the insurance portion taken off, as she did have insurance, just didn't have the card with her?

Asked on 4/14/15, 1:28 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys


It depends. In which court is your daughter's case is to be heard? Most courts allow the driver to either mail in or bring in their proof of insurance that was valid at the time of the traffic stop and that charge will be dismissed upon payment of a $25 administrative fee. But check with the court. In some courts, the driver has to appear at a contested hearing. As to the speeding charge, how old is your daughter? If she is under 18 years old, then you must either contest the charge by hiring an attorney or seek a deferred finding, which can be used only once every seven years. If she is under 18, and has at least one other paid or committed traffic ticket, she could be suspended for six months or until age 18 if this current ticket is found committed or paid and there is another prior ticket. You should always ask for a contested hearing by checking the third box down of the three choices and make sure the ticket is mailed in or delivered in person by the fifteenth day after the date it was issued to your daughter. She will have to appear in court on the scheduled date of hearing. But she needs to preserve her rights by asking for a contested hearing. She can always waive those rights at the hearing or an attorney hired by her can do that as (s)he sees fit. Good Luck!

Read more
Answered on 4/14/15, 2:55 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Traffic Law questions and answers in Washington