Legal Question in Traffic Law in Washington

I had a traffic violation and was driving my mother's car (she is a Washington resident and the car is registered in Washington). With me having an valid Oregon license, the officer was confused about my residency and was under the wrong impression that I am a Washington resident. He gave me a ticket for my violation, but said that he won't ticket me for not having a Washington license. He then cut my valid Oregon license in half and told me to get a Washington license. Is my current Oregon license now invalid? How would I check? I am currently an Oregon resident, and visit my parents in Washington for weeks at a time every so often. I do own my house in Oregon, and have current utility bills proving my Oregon residency. I'm unsure how to proceed. Thank you in advance for your help.

Asked on 5/06/14, 8:08 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

P. Jayson Thibodaux Law Office of P. Jayson Thibodaux

Assuming your license was valid - in Washington you can obtain a new replacement license online once per year by paying a nominal fee - I would try to get a new one from the DOL.

Read more
Answered on 5/06/14, 10:05 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Traffic Law questions and answers in Washington