Legal Question in Aviation Law in Wisconsin

obtaining a privot pilots license

i have 2 dui and 2 pending can i get private pilots license.

Asked on 8/16/08, 7:13 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Greg Reigel Reigel Law Firm, Ltd./Aero Legal Services

Re: obtaining a privot pilots license

In order to obtain a private pilot certificate, you need a third-class medical certificate. With 2 dui's, and possibly more depending upon the outcome of your pending charges, it will be difficult for you to obtain a medical certificate without completing the FAA's substance abuse/dependence protocol which includes in-patient treatment, abstinence for at least 2 years and ongoing monitoring and evaluations. It can be done, but it is time consuming and expensive.

Assuming you have and are able to keep a valid driver's license, and have not previously had an FAA medical certificate denied, you may be eligible to obtain a sport pilot certificate. However, under the circumstances, it is possible, although I don't know how likely it is, that the FAA could take the position that you are unable to operate an aircraft in a safe manner due to what it perceives as a substance abuse/dependence issue. But at this point in time you probably have better chances getting a sport pilot certificate than you do a medical certificate.

Sorry, but I hope this helps.

Read more
Answered on 8/19/08, 12:10 pm

Related Questions & Answers

    A PHP Error was encountered

    Severity: Warning

    Message: Invalid argument supplied for foreach()

    Filename: views/new_publicquestionview.php

    Line Number: 164

More Aviation Law questions and answers in Wisconsin