Legal Question in Criminal Law in Wisconsin

My 13 year old son was with a friend who decided to steel at the grocery store. My son said he told him not to, but he did anyways. They stopped them inside the store. His friend threw everything out of his pockets and ran. My son stayed and told the police everything. He ended up with a $290.00 fine and they didn't even go and find his friend. We live in a small town in Wisconsin and my son told the police where he lived. I feel this is wrong, the police officer even told me my son didn't steel anything. I don't understand why he is the one with the ticket and they didn't even bother with the kid who did steel. Any advice on this situation would be great. Thanks John

Asked on 2/04/18, 6:36 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

JAY Nixon nixon law offices

Have your lawyer request a trial and find out if the judge agrees with you, that your son did not steal anything. If so, the judge should throw out the case and find your son "not guilty." That is why courts and trials exist; use them if you or a loved one are unjustly accused, but do so with the assistance of an experienced lawyer, which will greatly improve your odds of a correct result, since courts are only human and can make mistakes.

Answering this question does not make me your attorney, nor make your information confidential, but you can post comments here for clarifications, etc. You can see my past answers to similar questions on AVVO , or see over fifteen years of past answers at , or Answers are not intended as legal advice, may contain attorney advertising materials and may, along with questions, be used in public attorney advertising materials, unless you request otherwise. All answers and questions on public websites are public documents which do not enjoy attorney client privilege..

Read more
Answered on 2/04/18, 6:42 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Criminal Law questions and answers in Wisconsin