Legal Question in DUI Law in Wisconsin

I have sent my mom's doctors annonymously and the DMV about my mom's drinking. in 2009 she had 3 DUI's and spent some time in jail for it. This year the state of Wisconsin thought it would be a good idea to give her her drivers license back. She is still drinking, I tried to tell the doctors this in the letter, but seeing as how the letters were anonymous, the doctor decided not to take the letters seriously and decided to fill out paperwork from the DMV saying she is alright to drive. Her therapist gave her the letter I sent with a fake email I gave them to contact me if needed. She contacted an attorney today for legal advice on how to find out who owns the email and they told her to go to the police. Will the police help her find out the owner???

Asked on 6/12/13, 3:45 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys


Your mother appears to be in serious need of help. It is not illegal for you to facilitate this for anyone in your immediate family with alcoholism or any other medical treatment need. If the email address is eventually tracked down to you, you therefore may as well admit it and use it as yet another opportunity to convince her that she needs treatment. If your age makes this difficult, you should recruit older family members to assist you. If you have no family available, consider contacting AA (alcoholics anonymous) or your church, or any other nonprofit for this help. AA also has a special program for teenage family members of alcoholics called Alateen or Al-Anon, which specializes in helping family members cope with alcoholics in their homes. Try this link if you are interested: . While there are mental commitment laws on the books in WI which apply to alcoholics, they are difficult to use, so you will likely still need to convince her to cooperate voluntarily unless there is an immediate danger of death or great bodily harm. Please do not assume that I am your attorney because of my response here, but feel free to call my office in Racine (262-633-3090 or email [email protected]) for clarifications regarding my answer. Otherwise, under the rules of this website, I would not be taking any further action on your case. See me on the web at View my past answers at , or see an even larger collection of responses at, . Answers may contain attorney advertising materials.

Read more
Answered on 6/13/13, 5:45 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Drunk Driving & DUI Law questions and answers in Wisconsin