Legal Question in Family Law in Wisconsin

child abandonment

In the state of Wisconsin I am wondering what the criteria is for a parent to claim "child abandonment" and what happens if this claim is made.

Asked on 6/20/00, 2:08 pm

3 Answers from Attorneys


Re: child abandonment

Are you talking about the criminal charge of

abandonment? That charge is being used more and more

frequently by prosecutors in egregious cases

of failing to pay child support. It is potentially

a felony, carrying the possibility of prison

time. If someone in the child support agency

was using this term during a conversation with

you, legal representation immediately is a must.

Read more
Answered on 8/30/00, 8:47 am


Re: child abandonment

I forgot to mention in my last response that there

is also civil abandonment, which is a term generally

used in custody related proceedings or CHIPS (child in need

of protection or services) juvenile court proceedings.

I obviously need to know more about your scenario

before I can attempt to answer your question.

Read more
Answered on 8/30/00, 8:50 am
Ernesto Romero Romero Law Office

Re: child abandonment

This is information and not advice.

Sorry question is too broad. Do you want a criminal action, civil action, adoption, termination of parental rights? Is this a paternity, divorce? Too many questions. Suggest you contact a lawyer concentrating in that area. Good one for those issues is Craig Miller at 414-332-5020. Good luck. Again, this is information and not advice.

Atty. Ernesto Romero

Read more
Answered on 8/29/00, 6:49 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Wisconsin