Legal Question in Family Law in Wisconsin

child custody of unmarried parents

I am not married to the father of my child. We are splitting up and I want to know what my rights are re; custody of our daughter as he says he will fight me for custody. I am the primary provider and sole custodian as we are not married? I would also like to know the rights of the father re; custody and visitation.

Asked on 11/17/04, 1:43 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Mark Mahoney Cassiani Law Office, Wise Shepherd Law Office

Re: child custody of unmarried parents


It is difficult to counsel you as to these issues and make sure you understand the general principles and as they apply to your specific situation. This is because a lot will depend on the facts of your case. The courts will hope that you can work out something between the two of you on your own for placement and visits. Most likely custody will be joint -- both of you will have to cooperate to take care of your daughter. Placment may be shared 50/50 with each of you having equal time with your daughter, or there may be some reason why it is best for your daughter to spend most of the time with one person, and the other with less time. Even if you get her the bulk of the time, he is entitled to some visits to help take care of her. The schedule will either have to be agreed on or a court will decide. Depending on who makes the money and has the child, child support can vary. You may not have a lot of money for a lawyer, but you should at least consult with one from time to time to get some direction. If you do that, you can get some help and still limit costs.

Best wishes, Mark J. Mahoney 920-984-4529

Read more
Answered on 11/20/04, 8:35 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Wisconsin