Legal Question in Family Law in Wisconsin

Giving up right on a child.

I want yo give up rights on my son. He mom won't let me see him. He has a step dad I want to let adopt him. I want to know how. Also will this stop the child support? How much might this cost to do.

Asked on 6/29/07, 5:39 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Thomas Olson David F. Gram & Associates, LLC

Re: Giving up right on a child.

One cannot "give up" one's obligation to support a child and a court will not terminate a father's parental rights simply because the biological father wants to do so.

However, if your ex has remarried and if she and her husband want to adopt the child, you can consent to the termination of your parental rights and the court will then terminate them at the same time that the stepfather adopts the child.

If your parental rights are terminated, the support obligation ceases for the future. You would still be obligated to pay any support arrearages that existed at the time of the termination.

There is virtually no cost to you for this procedure. Your ex and her husband have to hire an attorney to draft a consent to terminate your parental rights, petition the court to terminate your parental rights and to adopt the child. However, you cannot compel them to do this, it is voluntary on their part.

Read more
Answered on 6/30/07, 10:11 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Wisconsin