Legal Question in Family Law in Wisconsin

Can I move out of state with my child if I have sole custody and was never married to his father?

Asked on 11/10/13, 6:33 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

David Kowalski Kowalski Family Law, LLC

If you have an order granting either parent custody or placement, there is a specific notice procedure that you must follow before moving. The other parent is given a chance to object to your relocation with the child. If he objects, the court will make a decision after a study and hearing.

It is extremely important that you follow the procedure and retain an experienced family lawyer to work with you. Out of state relocation cases are usually contested, and you must effectively demonstrate why it is best for you and the child to move away from the father.

Read more
Answered on 11/11/13, 8:38 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Wisconsin