Legal Question in Immigration Law in Wisconsin

I'm a US citizen, a widowed mother, and right now my income is so low that I'm on food stamps. I'm also a full time University student, about to graduate this year. On a recent Study Abroad trip to Belize, I met a man and fell in love. Since I, by myself, haven't earned enough income to provide the "affidavit of support" that means we wouldn't be welcome to live in the United States, right? From what I read on the USCIS website, if we got married in Belize: then I would have to come back to the US alone and earn a higher salary for next year's tax return before I could petition the USCIS for permission to have my husband come here to live with me. Is it true that if I marry this man we will not be allowed to live together in the US because I'm too poor?

Asked on 2/02/13, 11:41 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Marlene Hemmings Marlene Hemmings, Attorney at Law

If you are living in Belize, you would need to return to the United States to establish a domicile here in order to be able to petition your husband.

However, if you do not work, you would just need to find a U.S. citizen or Legal Permanent Resident co-sponsor, who makes enough money for the Affidavit of Support.

Read more
Answered on 2/04/13, 10:18 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Immigration Law questions and answers in Wisconsin