Legal Question in Landlord & Tenant Law in Wisconsin

I had a land contract to buy the house we were living in and was not able to fulfill so it was canceled by the landlords lawyer. We then signed a month to month lease and we just moved out. During the land contract we were told we could make any improvements. We signed the lease on August 1 2013. There was never a walk through done during either signing. Now that we moved out she is throwing a fit saying that there is all kinds of damage. My question is do I need to retain a lawyer and do you have any suggestions.

Asked on 5/20/14, 1:00 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

JAY Nixon nixon law offices

Yes, you will need a lawyer if you want to fight this successfully. If the landlord keeps your security deposit and you win in court, you can not only get it back, but sometimes get double, plus your attorney fees. Your scenario is complicated by the land contract, however, and the question might become one of whether the improvements were really "damage" or not and when they occurred. Remember that I am only guessing here because I have not seen your paperwork, so have a private consultation with a lawyer for review of the docs before you act on my suggestions.

Please do not assume that I am your attorney because of my response here. Call my office in Racine (262-633-3090 or email [email protected]) for clarifications or further questions, but if you want me to do more you will need to make additional arrangements. See me on the web at, or view over fifteen years of my past answers at, as well as past AVVO answers at Answers may contain attorney advertising materials..

Read more
Answered on 5/21/14, 6:43 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Landlord & Tenants questions and answers in Wisconsin