Legal Question in Personal Injury in Wisconsin

Recently I hit a bicyclist while driving my Van. He was traveling the wrong way on a oneway street, I was turning onto the oneway street and didn't see him until it was too late. There were 2 witnesses to the accident and we all asked him if he needed medical treatment and he refused. He then begged us not to call the police because he is on probation for public intoxication. The police were called by one of the witnesses and he immediately left the scene before the police got there. Both witnesses were familiar with him so they gave the officer his name, the officer was also familiar with him. One witness said she saw him swerving in the road before I hit him, and the other witness who happened to be a retired firefighter thought he smelled alcohol on him. I didnít get ticketed for any traffic violations. A few days later he did call the police station and requested my information. Is it possible for him to sue me, and if so how much trouble can I get in for this? Itís been almost a month and I havenít heard from him yet. Thanks

Asked on 7/21/11, 8:00 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Michael End End, Hierseman & Crain, LLC

There is a three-year statute of limitations for filing a personal injury case in Wisconsin, so the guy on the bike can file a lawsuit against you during that time span if he decides to do so. If I were you, I would notify my automobile insurance carrier and give them the facts so that they will be ready to defend the case if the guy should file a lawsuit against you.

Read more
Answered on 7/21/11, 9:03 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Personal Injury Law and Tort Law questions and answers in Wisconsin