Legal Question in Personal Injury in Wisconsin

Son bitten by dog

Unprovoked. Attacked while walking on public sidewalk. 4-5'' gash under arm. Required trip to emerg. room. Police report, dog quarantined -ok. Sent letter asking for medical bills. No response. Now what?

Asked on 10/18/08, 9:50 am

4 Answers from Attorneys

Brian Brophy Sipsma, Hahn, & Brophy L.L.C.

Re: Son bitten by dog

The prior three answers are all correct. It won't cost you anything up-front to hire an attorney. An attorney will help you discover whether there is insurance to compensate you and your son for his injuries.

Read more
Answered on 10/20/08, 11:24 am
JAY Nixon nixon law offices

Dog Bites Minor Son

Dog bites in WI can be good cases, subject to the owner having prior knowledge of the dog's vicious propensities and contributory negligence (i.e., teasing the dog) by the victim. Homeowners insurance usually covers such losses and such insurance companies are ultimately the ones who usually police repeat offending dogs, threatening to drop insurance if the dog remains. My advice to you in such a scenario would be to retain an experienced lawyer as soon as possible to investigate and evaluate your claim. If there is no response, your only recourse will be to sue.

Read more
Answered on 10/18/08, 12:08 pm

Re: Son bitten by dog

If there is no response from the dog owner the next step may be to hire an attorney. Most attorneys who handle dog bite cases work on a contingency basis--that means that the attorney does not get paid unless there is a recovery. If the dog owner is "stonewalling" you, that may be the best option. I, and other experienced dog bite lawyers would love to talk to you about this case. Good luck.

J D Haas

Read more
Answered on 10/18/08, 1:02 pm
Frank Pasternak Pasternak & Zirgibel S.C.

Re: Son bitten by dog

You should get a lawyer to handle your personal injury claim.

Read more
Answered on 10/18/08, 8:16 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Personal Injury Law and Tort Law questions and answers in Wisconsin