Legal Question in Real Estate Law in Wisconsin

Five children own the parents home and are selling the house themselves. Do we need a lawyer to all sign off? How do the five of us proceed with the selling of this home?

Asked on 6/03/17, 4:08 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

JAY Nixon nixon law offices

Get a letter report of title from any WI title company for the answer to your question, and ask them what the requirements would be to convey clear title to a voluntary purchaser. The answer is probably yes, all owners would need to sign. The five of you should therefore start by retaining one lawyer to represent all of you for this transaction. If any of the five have judgments or other liens against them, their share of sales proceeds will go first to the lien holders. Other problems could also become apparent, such as a possible need to probate the estates of deceased owners. If the title is ready for sale, the lawyer will probably retained a licensed WI Realtor to market the property.

This answer is not legal advice and I am not your lawyer just because I answered it on a public website. Feel free to view my past answers to similar questions on AVVO at . Also see 15 years of past answers at and . Answers may contain attorney advertising materials and both questions and answers may be may also be used in attorney advertising. .

Read more
Answered on 6/04/17, 4:49 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Real Estate and Real Property questions and answers in Wisconsin