Legal Question in Real Estate Law in Wisconsin

my neighbor excavated his yard.Now my yard is slumping into his below grade yard.Talked to him 3x's about situation ... no action.Do i sue him in small claims or do i have the problem fixed and sue him for the cost?

Asked on 6/16/17, 2:40 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

JAY Nixon nixon law offices

There is nothing that you can do legally, unless you can prove that you (or a group of owners to which you belong) own some sort of drainage easement or other right to control drainage on the land of another. A title search on the neighbor's lot will tell the tale, although you will probably need an experienced real estate lawyer to fully understand it. Rights could also arise from subdivision rules or regulations made by government drainage districts. Talk to an experienced real estate lawyer for other options.

This answer is not legal advice and I am not your lawyer just because I answered it on a public website. Feel free to view my past answers to similar questions on AVVO at . Also see 15 years of past answers at and . Answers may contain attorney advertising materials and both questions and answers may be may also be used in attorney advertising.

Read more
Answered on 6/17/17, 6:36 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Real Estate and Real Property questions and answers in Wisconsin