Legal Question in Real Estate Law in Wisconsin

If I told my ex she could keep my furniture/televisions until I had room/space for them because I was moving into my aunts after the break-up. Eventually, this became me later saying she could keep it and she claims to have a text stating that. Is is possible for me to get my property back?

Asked on 4/29/12, 6:46 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

JAY Nixon nixon law offices

A valid gift, such as your eventual statement to your former spouse that you she could keep your property, transfers legal title to property and entitles the beneficiary of the gift to keep the property. This, paired with delivery of the gift to her by leaving the furnishings at her home, might make it difficult for you to win in court if you ever sued for return of the items, depending upon the clarity of intent expressed in your text message to her, along with all other facts and circumstances. Please be aware that my responses to you in the public web forum do not make me your attorney and that I am not representing you or taking any action on your case. These answers are intended for public educational use only. Regardless of this, however, you are still welcome to contact me during business hours at my in Racine if you still have questions.

Read more
Answered on 4/30/12, 4:25 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Real Estate and Real Property questions and answers in Wisconsin