Legal Question in Traffic Law in Wisconsin

I was involved in accident about 3 month ago and got rear ended by another driver.The other driver claim that I backed up in an intersection but I did no. the officer at sense said since both are saying different things he can't decide who is telling the truth. The insurance company refused to pay for either of us (both have State farm as our insurance company) The other party has filed a law suit with a legal firm in Texas, they want me to pay them about $2000. I have not contacted them. What is the best thing to do concerning this matter? They send me a letter that states that they are asking the state of Wisconsin to suspend my driver license.

Asked on 6/14/17, 9:59 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

JAY Nixon nixon law offices

You need a lawyer and might have a defense to the collector's threats to attempt to take away your license (if you were actually insured with State Farm as you say). If you don't fight the lawsuit, they will win by default and you will forever lose your ability to fight it. However, something does not quite add up correctly when you say that a TX Lawfirm is handling a WI small claims case. Are you sure that this is an actual lawsuit or might it only be a threat to bring one? Make an appointment with a lawyer today and bring your paperwork with you to the appointment.

This answer is not legal advice and I am not your lawyer just because I answered it on a public website. Feel free to view my past answers to similar questions on AVVO at . Also see 15 years of past answers at and . Answers may contain attorney advertising materials and both questions and answers may be may also be used in attorney advertising.

Read more
Answered on 6/23/17, 11:47 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Traffic Law questions and answers in Wisconsin