Legal Question in Family Law in Wyoming

Out of control teenager

My SO has a 16 yr old daughter, she has been on probation with the chins program, but that was revoked in June because she wouldn't follow the rules and the Judge dismissed her case. We cannot have her put on the chins program again. She is pregnant and refuses to go home(her mom has custody)or stay with her dad. She has been going from one friends home to another for about 4 months. Is there any legal action we can take to make her go home? Since the chins program is out of the question, are there any other programs to help out of control kids? What can we do?

Asked on 9/08/03, 12:33 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Billie Ruth Edwards Edwards & Johnson, Attorneys, LLC

Re: Out of control teenager

As you have experienced, legal action (in the form of CHINS) did nothing to help this girl. Her mother could enlist the assistance of law enforcement to get her home, but she probably would not stay.

The answer to your question will have to come from resources in your community. If you feel you cannot turn to DFS and you have a religious advisor, I would ask there first. They might suggest you contact Planned Parenthood, since the girl is pregnant. The Salvation Army might be able to offer practical suggestions, as might your mental health center.

When she delivers, DFS may well enter the picture again, as she may not be allowed by the hospital to take her child away without an adult accompanying her. I am surprised adults in her friends homes have not contacted DFS thus far.

Attorneys in your community are an additional resource. If you cannot find one in the yellow pages that workes with juvenile law, call the Bar Association in Cheyenne (632-9061) and ask for referrals.

Read more
Answered on 9/10/03, 6:05 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Wyoming