Legal Question in Traffic Law in New York

I have a factory orignal 2002 Camaro ss which has no provisions for mounting a front license plate which is required by NYS law. I got a ticket the other day for not having a front plate. Can the court force me to modify a factory orignal car (which would entail drilling holes in to a car worth a lot of money) just to mount a front plate? Do I have any options/defenses other then to pay the fine and pray I dont get pulled over again? I heard federal law states that you cant be forces to modify a car jsut to mount a plate. Any truth to this?

Stuart Austin Austin Law Associates, PC

Briefly section 402 of th VTL states That one plate is necessary if the registration year of the car only requires one plate. Is the car a remake in which there was no front plate. Also the law does not specifically state where the front plate must be mounted--- where reasonable possible it should be between 12 and 48 inches f rom the ground-- I am sure you can modify something if you try. I would be happy to assist you if I can. I would hate to see anyone ruin a classic vehicle. Good Luck.

More Traffic Law questions and answers in New York