California  |  Criminal Law

I am new mom, & was caught for shoplifting at WinCo Foods, in California. It was an honest mistake; my 6mth old daughter was sitting in the card & playing with the Gerber snack bag, that I got her. As my purse diaper bag was sitting right there, must have accidentally put it in there. As I am always carrying snacks, milk in her diaper bag, I did not realize that the Gerber snack bag, in my Diaper was the one I had just gotten it.

When we walked out of Winco Foods, CA there was cop & a store employee was waiting, & took me there office above. They wanted me to sign paper that said, I can no longer go to any Winco Foods, for 100 yrs. Also, I am being fined for $250 + $2.48, for the goods.

I had made a purchase of $51 so why would I steal a $2 item.

The lady cop, was rude, & I asked several times, is there way to fight it or talk to someone, even talk to the store manger. She told me, there is no one besides her I can talk. After I leave the store, I cannot even call the store or talk to the manger or anyone else about it.

At this point, I donít care about ever care about going back to Winco, as they donít even give an option.

The question that I have is since there was no criminal action taken, is my file closed? I wonder who has access to this information and will it follow me for years to come, or can I stop worrying and put it behind me? I just dont want this kept secret and to forget all about it. Is there a way I can fight it somehow, or even do community service. Even though I had not meant to steal anything, it was done unknowingly.

This was my first time, & am scared that is my life over.