Legal Question in Criminal Law in Virginia

How do I request information from a Va. Police Dept. when I now live in another state? I sent a FOIA letter (to the records division) requesting information from a criminal case in 2005. I was sent a letter claiming section 2.2-3704 (A) of the Code of Va. and the Police Dept. is not a federal agency (so it is exempt from the FIOA) as reasons why my request is being denied.

Asked on 8/10/12, 4:26 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Michael E. Hendrickson Attorney & Counsellor at Law
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

The question you're asking needs further clarification as to the specific kind of

of information you're requesting. It may be that you should be directing

your inquiry to the courts rather than to a local police agency which as you've

found out is not subject to FOIA inquiries.

Read more
Answered on 8/11/12, 7:25 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Criminal Law questions and answers in Virginia

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88953 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Find a Legal Form

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Rahul Manchanda, Esq.Manchanda Law Office PLLCNew York, NY
Glen AshmanAshman Law OfficeAtlanta, GA
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now