Legal Question in DUI Law in South Africa

Good Day

I would like to know what happens if i am not in the country when i am scheduled to appear in court? due to having immigrated?

My court date for a DUI was set and i appeared and received my bail back and the case was remanded with no date. so in the interim if i immigrate what will happen on my return to SA on holiday in maybe a year or two?

thanks

Derek Ziman Ziman and Ziman Solicitors

You are obliged to appear in Court on the hearing date. If the case was remanded with no date - which sounds unlikely - then you don't have to sit around in South Africa waiting to be notified of the date. It also sounds strange that you received your bail back!! If you know of the date and chose to move to another country in the meantime and you don't appear when you should they can issue a warrant for your arrest. If the police discover that you are visiting in the future they can arrest you on that warrant and drag you before the court. In your case it does not sound like a warrant would be issued but you should get someone to check with the Court

A PHP Error was encountered

Severity: Warning

Message: Invalid argument supplied for foreach()

Filename: views/new_publicquestionview.php

Line Number: 122

More Drunk Driving & DUI Law questions and answers in South Africa