Legal Question in Family Law in Alabama

Child Support Arrears

Hello,

I am a father and I have a nine year old daughter who lives with her mother. We were never married and I unfortunately, did not find out about her exsistance until she was four years old!!! Needless to say, Her mother has three children total with three different child fathers. We have performed all DNA paternity tests and it has been proven, but I have documentation to also prove that my knowledge of her was not my fault. My name is not even listed on the Birth Certificate. I am currently on child support and I am basically wondering how I can reduce my ''Arrears Total'', due to the fact I was not aware of my daughter? I don't mind paying the child support but $6,000 in Arrears is rediculous!!! Thanks again for you help! Thanks

Mari Morrison Mari Morrison, P.C.

Re: Child Support Arrears

The law states she can go back two years on child support. $6,000 is not as bad as some people find themselves. What you can do is try to negotiate with her and make an upfront cash settlement, then pay current thereafter. Remember interest is 12% per annum and it will continue to grow.

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Alabama