Legal Question in Family Law in Arkansas


Unmarried mother of two in Arkansas. Have been living with fiance for past 7 months. Ex-boyfriend who is father of my children lives in Missouri and has threated to ''get me'' on cohabitation in order to gain custody of children. Is it illegal for my fiance and I to live together with my children, when we have clearly stated our intentions to marry?

Asked on 2/02/08, 5:03 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Brandon Moffitt Moffitt & Phillips, PLLC
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

Re: cohabitation

Although it is not illegal, many custody orders in Arkansas prohibit "overnight guests of the opposite sex while the children are present." So the first thing you should do is read the child custody order.

Secondly, many judges disfavor overnight guests, regardless of the circumstances and may take it in consideration if a challenge to child custody is filed.

Read more
Answered on 2/09/08, 12:12 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Arkansas

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88953 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption Legal Forms

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Legal Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Glen AshmanAshman Law OfficeAtlanta, GA
Barry SteinDe Cardenas, Freixas, Stein & ZacharyMiami, FL
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now