Legal Question in Aviation Law in California

Recently I purchased an air ticket to Brittan from a travel agent. When I presented myself at the check in counter, I was told that I need a visa to enter Brittan and wasn’t allowed onto the flight. Being a South African Citizen I was totally taken aback. Unbeknown to me, the visa regulations changed in the early part of last year. Prior to this South Africans didn’t need a visa to visit Brittan.

The travel agent wants to charge me the maximum cancellation fee. However, I believe that it is up to the agent to ensure that a traveler has the necessary travel documents prior to issuing a ticket. Therefore my question is; “who should carry the loss, the agent or I”.

Thanking you,

Kind Regard,

Dennis McCann.

Asked on 1/29/10, 4:01 am

2 Answers from Attorneys

Michael Stone Law Offices of Michael B. Stone Toll Free 1-855-USE-MIKE
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

Your loss. In the contract of carriage, which you can get from the airline's website, it says that passengers are responsible for compliance with travel documentation requirements.

Read more
Answered on 2/03/10, 11:33 am
Bryan C. Becker Your Lawyer for Life.
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

If you are dealing with an independent travel agent and he/she knew of your citizenship yet failed to advise you, or advised you incorrectly, I believe you would at minimum have cause to refuse to pay the cancellation fee to the travel agent.


Bryan Becker

Becker Attorneys

[email protected]


Read more
Answered on 2/04/10, 10:08 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Aviation Law questions and answers in California

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88953 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Find a Legal Form

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Rahul Manchanda, Esq.Manchanda Law Office PLLCNew York, NY
Glen AshmanAshman Law OfficeAtlanta, GA
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now