Legal Question in Consumer Law in California

I subscribe to a satellite TV provider. On my last bill I was charged a "regional sports fee". When I inquired what this was for I was told that all subscribers who have access to their sports channels are now being charged a fee. I explained that I don't watch sports but was told they still have to charge me since I have access to their channels. I was told the only way to avoid this was to change my programming to a lower tier which would cost me other programs I do want.

Is this legal?

Roy Kohler Law Offices of Roy Kohler

What all the sattelite and cable providers are doing is outrageous. They cleverly place channels they know you will want to watch with a bunch of junk. So you have to but expensive tiers to get the channels you want.

Hopefully, some provider will allow you to pay for the individual channels you want and omit the channels you do not want to pay for.

Our Congress could mandate such a sensible requirement, but they are in the hip pocket of the lobbyists and will do what they are told by the sattelite and cabel companies.

More Consumer Law questions and answers in California

Consumer Law Legal Forms