California  |  Credit and Debt Law

Abstract of Judgement

I was never served papers and completely unaware of a judgement made against me. I now face an abstract of judgement as a result of not showing up to a court date to defend myself. The judgement was made 17 months ago and I have only now learned of the judgement and the severity of the situation because of an attempt to garnish my wages.

Though the attempt to collect payment through garnished wages has been unsuccessful (because I am an independent contractor), I am concerned about a levy against my bank account. The source of the debt is a small consumer credit debt ($1,400) from 7 or 8 years ago and has been transferred to a collection agency. Due to the fact that the law offices representing the agency have obviously attempted to collect this beyond the statute of limitations in california and never actually served me papers to appear in court I clearly don't trust them.

It is well beyond the appeal deadline, and I just want to put this behind me. I would like to set up a payment program but I don't know who to contact to make the arrangements and I'm afraid to try to work with the law office that has already been shady in their practices.

What is the best way to resolve this once and for all?