California  |  Credit and Debt Law

Legal Question

Asked on: 5/17/10, 4:11 pm

As an unlicensed contractor I was sued by a plaintiff and the Small Claims Court awarded a judgment for $4,890.00. I am retired on Social Security $524.00 and State Teachers Retirement, $2,300.00 monthly. I have no savings and my wife and I have our names on the mortgage to this house which is somewhat upside down. I own a 2004 Ford F150. My retirement does not fully pay for the mortgage and utilities on this home. Can the court force my wife to pay this judgment in whole or part. Without her retirement I can not make ends meet. When I was sued in Small Claims Court only I was sued. Can the plaintiff also try to attach my wife's retirement (direct deposit in separate bank) to satisfy this claim. What actions, specially, are open to the plaintiff. Thank You, Mike Jones

Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask an Attorney!

Get answers from the top Attorneys
Ask Question

115 Answers given in the last few hours.

8662 Active attorneys ready to answer your question

Search Past Answers:
  Advanced Search