Legal Question in Criminal Law in California

65% prison term

is there a new law that allows convicted felons to serve a 65% prison term instead of 85%?

Asked on 5/26/02, 2:25 am

2 Answers from Attorneys

Victor Hobbs Victor E. Hobbs
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

Re: 65% prison term

On a felony conviction when serving time in prison. The release time is 50% on the first offense and subsequent offenses. Here's the big one - if the second offense is filed and sentenced as a Second Strike; and the third offense is filed and sentenced as a Third Strike. Second Strikes are served at (I believe and am not absolutely sure) 70%. And Third Strikes are served at (I believe) 25 years to life. While in prison, the time it takes you to get checked in and assigned a job is served at 100% and as soon as you're assigned a job the time, is credited at the percentage your crime and sentence warrant.

Read more
Answered on 5/26/02, 1:25 pm
Christopher Melcher Melcher, Melcher & Melcher
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

Re: 65% prison term

The general rule is that a person receives a six month reduction in sentence for each six month period of full time performance in a work, training, or education program established by the Director of Corrections. A lesser amount of credit based on this ratio is awarded for any lesser period of continuous performance. This is called "work-time credit." See Penal Code section 2933(a).

If a person is serving a sentence for a "violent offense" such as murder or any felony with great bodily injury, then no work-time credit is given. Penal Code section 2933.5.

A person convicted of a "violent felony" under Penal Code section 667.5(c) may receive only a 15 percent reduction in sentence for work time credit. Penal Code section 2933.1(a).

Not knowing what crime your question relates to I cannot tell you if work time credit is available. I know of no new law allowing for 65% total prison term. I hope this is helpful. Christopher Melcher

Read more
Answered on 5/30/02, 6:56 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Criminal Law questions and answers in California

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88953 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Find a Legal Form

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Rahul Manchanda, Esq.Manchanda Law Office PLLCNew York, NY
Glen AshmanAshman Law OfficeAtlanta, GA
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now