Legal Question in Criminal Law in California

Can i get arrested if Im 20 years old and a female minor age 17 slaps and hits me and i push her to a wall but my hands are on her neck and as soon as she hits the wall i move off her. but her sisters around her say i tried to choke her.can i get arrested if i tell the police it was in self defense?

Joe Dane Law Office of Joe Dane

Can you get arrested? Absolutely.

That doesn't mean you will necessarily have charges filed against you or that you'll be convicted, but yes, you could get arrested on a number of charges.

David M. Wallin Law Offices OF David M. Wallin

Yes, you can and propbably will be arrested, if the police believe you choked this girl. I would advise you to say the magic 9 words. They are, "l didn't do anything wrong, talk to my lawyer.". If you say 1 WORD MORE, you WILL HURT YOURSELF. You need to speak to me before you make your case any worse. Call during normal working hours at 661-267-1313. I will be more than happy to help................David Wallin

Edward Hoffman Law Offices of Edward A. Hoffman

Yes, and you probably will. You might get convicted, too -- especially if you make statements to the police without a lawyer present. Regardless of what you say, the police and the jury don't have to believe you.

More Criminal Law questions and answers in California