Legal Question in Criminal Law in California

My cousin & I were caught shoplifting at Walmart, items costing possibly $100-$200. She didn't take anything but she knew I did. It wasn't like we planned on going in & shoplifting. I went to purchase conditioner & I don't know what got over my head but I seen items I couldn't afford & took them. I totally regret it & can assure I will never be shoplifting again. Lesson has been learned & now I can't stop stressing over the results of what will be happening. They have us on camera & I cooperated with everything they told me to do. I returned all items & they told me I wasn't officially banned from Walmart just for that night because it was my first time however they did take all my information down, & we weren't arrested but were told we will be receiving papers for court. I am 19 years old & I've always had a clean record. I cannot afford a lawyer. They caught us on camera so should we plead guilty or not guilty. I don't want this on my record. Please Help.

Asked on 7/07/13, 3:56 pm

2 Answers from Attorneys

Zadik Shapiro Law Offices of C. Zadik Shapiro
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

If you get a citation in the mail, go to court at the appointed time and a lawyer will be appointed to represent you. Depending upon the county you live in there may well be ways to keep it off your record.

Read more
Answered on 7/07/13, 5:50 pm
Anthony Roach Law Office of Anthony A. Roach
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

I agree with Mr. Shapiro. If you get a citation, you need to appear in court, and do not plead to anything until you speak to a lawyer. If you cannot afford an attorney, you can ask the court to appoint the public defender to represent you.

Read more
Answered on 7/08/13, 12:25 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Criminal Law questions and answers in California

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88953 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Find a Legal Form

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Rahul Manchanda, Esq.Manchanda Law Office PLLCNew York, NY
Glen AshmanAshman Law OfficeAtlanta, GA
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now