Legal Question in Criminal Law in California

My cousin & I were caught shoplifting at Walmart, items costing possibly $100-$200. She didn't take anything but she knew I did. It wasn't like we planned on going in & shoplifting. I went to purchase conditioner & I don't know what got over my head but I seen items I couldn't afford & took them. I totally regret it & can assure I will never be shoplifting again. Lesson has been learned & now I can't stop stressing over the results of what will be happening. They have us on camera & I cooperated with everything they told me to do. I returned all items & they told me I wasn't officially banned from Walmart just for that night because it was my first time however they did take all my information down, & we weren't arrested but were told we will be receiving papers for court. I am 19 years old & I've always had a clean record. I cannot afford a lawyer. They caught us on camera so should we plead guilty or not guilty. I don't want this on my record. Please Help.

Zadik Shapiro Law Offices of C. Zadik Shapiro

If you get a citation in the mail, go to court at the appointed time and a lawyer will be appointed to represent you. Depending upon the county you live in there may well be ways to keep it off your record.

I agree with Mr. Shapiro. If you get a citation, you need to appear in court, and do not plead to anything until you speak to a lawyer. If you cannot afford an attorney, you can ask the court to appoint the public defender to represent you.

More Criminal Law questions and answers in California