Legal Question in Criminal Law in California

Can I pay a fine instead of community service?Help time is running out!

I was sentenced to 30 days community service which must be completed by sept 7,99 that doesn't leave me enough time because I only have done 2 days so far.I would prefer to pay a fine especially because I am severly narcoleptic and my dr. says it is dangerous for me to work along the freeways.This situation has me a nervous wreck I don't feel I should go to jail can you please help me I dont know what to do and I have'nt got much time to do it.Thanks

Lyle Johnson Bedi and Johnson Attorneys at Law

Re: Can I pay a fine instead of community service?Help time is running out!

The terms of probation can be changed by the judge. This is genrally done by filing a motio requesting that the terms of probation be modified. This motion should contain a statement of the change that you are requesting and the reason for the request. A letter from your doctor, on his letter head should be attached to the motion. After a hearing date is obtained a copy of the motion should be served on the district attorney and adult probation department.

Generally it is better to file the motion and set a date for the hearing prior to the date that you are to report on the amount of community service that you have done.

More Criminal Law questions and answers in California

Glen AshmanAshman Law OfficeAtlanta, GA